Thursday, April 28, 2011

Nebula Nails!

So tomorrow is the final launch of the space shuttle Endeavour.  To commemorate it, I decided to do what I call "Nebula Nails."  I've been seeing these gorgeous manicures called "Galaxy Nails", "Universe Nails", and "Space Nails," but I thought "nebula" was a better description for this particular manicure.  It was SO much fun and SO easy to do.  I used the tutorial on Asami's blog as a guide.  The girl is a genius!  I used different colors than she did in her tutorial, but the technique is basically the same.

Here's a quick photo tutorial so you can do it too!  :)

First, I started with a coat of Essie Feed Me, which is a hydrating base coat.

Then, I applied 1 coat of OPI DS Mystery.  I think it worked perfectly because it's such a dark purple with gold shimmers, which adds depth to the overall look.


Then, I took a small piece of paper towel, folded it, and dabbed a little bit of OPI DS Signature on it like this:


Then, I just blotted the polish in various designs on my nail like this:



Next, I did the same thing with Borghese Stellare Notte using a fresh piece of paper towel.  The nice thing about Stellare Notte is that it's a dark duochrome, so I was able to use it to soften the edges of the DS Signature to create a layered look.

Finally, I added a coat of Wet n Wild Kaleidoscope, which a holographic glitter top coat with 2 sizes of glitter.  So, I was able to get both small and large glitter in one shot. 

Then I just finished with 2 coats of quick dry top coat and viola!








I hope the tutorial was easy to understand.  If you have any questions please let me know.  Thanks for looking!  And godspeed tomorrow Endeavour!

No comments:

Post a Comment