Sunday, May 27, 2012

NOTD: Neon Water Marble

So I was thinking about this blog today and realized I've never featured a water marble!  I've worn several and for whatever reason I never bothered to take photos and show you.  Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist and water marbling is the exact opposite of perfection.  By "opposite" I mean no two nails will ever be identical, cleanup is never perfect, and it's so messy that it's inevitable you'll screw up at some point.  At the same time, I try to remind myself that the beauty of water marbling is the fact that each nail is different, so just take it for what it is.

I love a good water marble.  I just wish there was a way to do it without wasting so much nail polish.  I try to dip two fingers at a time, which helps a lot, but I still have a hard time justifying the use of 9+ drops of nail polish for 2 fingers.  So, I guess the point is that I have a love/hate relationship with water marbling.  Regardless, I want to try featuring it more on this blog since there are endless possibilities for designs and they are really pretty.

For this look I started with 2 coats of LA Colors Energy Source, which is just a basic white creme.  Then, I used Sally Hansen Blue Me Away, Sinful Colors Dream On, and a Cosmetic Arts neon green (there's no name on the label) for the design.  I just dripped 3 drops of each color, in concentric circles, until I had 2 rings of each color.  Then, I just made random designs until I found something I liked.  I finished the look with one coat of Essie Matte About You.

These polishes cooperated for the most part, but since they're neon they dry quickly and I didn't work fast enough.  A couple times they dried before I finished my design and I had to start all over again.  My ring finger was the worst.  I had to do that one three times before I had a decent design.


Photo taken in natural light.

So have you tried water marbling?  Do you have a favorite color combination?

Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment