Saturday, January 7, 2012

Galaxy Nails!

Hello everyone!  I've been experimenting with galaxy nails lately and wanted to show you what I came up with.  It was really fun to do Nebula Nails, and I wanted to try another design like that, but not nebulae because I already did those.  So, I spent one afternoon messing around with several colors and different designs and finally settled on this.  The fun part of galaxy nails, nebula nails, space nails, etc. is that they're pretty abstract and complex so you can make pretty much anything you want using practically any color!  Talk about letting your creative juices flow!


Photo taken in artificial light.

What I used:



For the galaxies (from left to right):
Borghese Stellare Notte
OPI DS Signature
Sally Hansen Slick Slate
OPI What's With the Cattittude?
Wet n Wild Blue Wants To Be a Millionaire

Save these for the very end of your mani:
Rite Stripe in White
Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat

I started with 2 coats of Stellare Notte.  Once that dried, I used a small paintbrush to apply DS Signature in a spiral pattern.  Then, I applied Slick Slate in the same spiral pattern over DS Signature.  I kept doing that with all of the polishes until the pattern was comprised of several layers, with many colors peeking through.  The trick here is to do it with imperfections.  I just used the brush to sort of "blot" color onto my nail rather than use full strokes so that it looked like a cloudy mass and so all the colors could show.

Once I was satisfied with the galaxies, I used a bobby pin to dot on some stars using the White Rite Stripe.  I finished the look with a coat of Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat.

I like this look, but it took a lot of experimenting to come up with this.  And I'm still not sure if I like the stars.  I feel like it might look better with smaller stars.  But when I was working on them they looked like they were missing something without the stars.  I guess I'll have to experiment some more! :)


Photo taken in artificial light.


Photo taken in artificial light.

Also, I need to update my reader, so feel free to leave me a comment with your blog URL.  If you'd like to be added to the blogroll let me know as well! :)

Thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment